Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Prof. Magdy Tawfik Khalil
11th April, 1952
Cairo - Egypt
Zoology Dept., Fac. Science, Ain Shams Univ., Cairo, Egypt
Biodiversity, Aquatic Ecology, Environmental Management.
00202-24185436 Mobile: 0100-6526185
00202-24146591 e-mail: [email protected]
- Prof. of Aquatic Environment, Faculty of Science, Ain Shams Univ.
- Ex-Director of Center of Research of Protectorates, Ain Shams University
- Ex-Head of Zoology Dept., Faculty of Science, Ain Shams Univ.
B.Sc. Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Ain-Shams University.
M.Sc. Aquatic Ecology, Ain-Shams University. The subject of the thesis was : “ECOLOGICAL AND BIOLOGICAL STUDIES UPON ZOOPLANKTON OF LAKE QARUN, FAYOUM, EGYPT.”
Ph. D. Aquatic Ecology, Syracuse University, New York (USA) and Ain-Shams University, Egypt. The subject of the dissertation was :
“STUDIES ON THE POPULATION DYNAMICS OF ANIMAL ORGANISMS AND EFFECT OF POLLUTANTS UPON SOME OF THEM IN LAKE WADI EL RAYAN (EL-FAYOUM, EGYPT).
Assistant Professor Degree in environmental Sciences and Ecosystem Management.
Professor Degree in Environmental Sciences and Ecosystem Management.
1- Worked as an Assistant Lecturer at Zoology Department, Faculty of Science, Ain-Shams University (1973-1984).
2- Worked as a Lecturer, Ain-Shams University (1985-1990).
3- Courses : General Ecology; Mollusca and Echinodermata;
Environment and human; Freshwater Biology;
Aquatic Ecology;Marine Biology
4- Worked as an Assistant Professor, Ain-Shams University (1990-1996).
5- Worked as an Professor, Ain-Shams University (1998 - now).
6- Attended a training period in the National Research Center, Egypt (1979), in the field of “Organic and Inorganic Pollutants in Water”.
7- Awarded a “Peace Fellowship” in Syracuse University, New York, USA from 1981-1983 and a “Teaching Assistantship” at Biology Dept. (Syracuse Univ.) in 1983 for one academic year.
8- Teaching at the “Institute of Environmental Studies and Research, Ain-Shams University” since 1986 uptill now (Part - Time).
9- Teaching in Oman at the Education College from 1988-1992. Involved in a project to study the Ecology of Oman Coasts.
10- Teaching in the United Arab Emirates University, Faculty of Science, Biology Department, from September 1996 To August 1999.
SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND PROJECTS:
1- Worked in an Egyptian American Project for developing Lake Qarun (1973-1978).
2- Worked as a Limnologist in a Canadian Company : “James F. MacLaren Ltd.” in a project aiming at the development and management of Lake Manzala, Egypt (1979-1980).
The work in the Canadian project concentrated on the following :
- Fish Biology.
- Zooplankton, phytoplankton and Bottom fauna analyses.
- Water chemistry of the lake.
3- Worked as a “Limnologist” in the National Institute of Oceanography and Fisheries (Egyptian-American Joint project which studied pollution at Wadi El-Rayan Lakes)- (1979-1981).
4- Joined, as an Ecologist, in American Project supervised by the College of Engineering at Syracuse University, U.S.A. (September, 1981) to investigate the water quality and the effect of the industrial wastes upon three rivers system in central New York; Seneca, Oneida and Oswego Rivers. The system is a highly valuable resource to the Central New York area.
5- Joined, as an Ecologist, and American-Egyptian Project supervised by “Theoder-Bilharz Research Institute, Egypt” for testing Echinostoma liei as a biocontrol agent against Schistosoma mansoni, from Jan., 1986 to August, 1988.
6- Joined an Egyptian project supervised by Ain-Shams University for studying the effects of pollutants upon fauna of lakes Manzala and Mariut, from January, 1987 to January, 1988.
7- Joined a project supported by the Academy of Scientific Research and Technology, for developing the “Fauna Museum” in Zoology Dept. Faculty of Science, Ain-Shams University, from November 1992 to December 1994.
8- Joined a project supported by Ain-Shams University for studying the effects of pullution on the biodiversity of the Red Sea coast, from November 1992 to July 1994.
9- Joined a project (as a Principal Investigator) for preparing “Egypt country study on biological diversity” ( Aquatic Fauna ). It is a joint project between National Biodiversity Unit of Egyptian Environment Affairs Agency (EEAA ) and UNEP, from September 1993 to December 1994. Through this project, 8 detailed studies on species diversity of 8 taxa of freshwater organisms have been prepared. Besides, 8 volumes on “Habitat diversity of coastal lagoons and inland lakes” have been published.
10- In cooperation of Texas Gulf Coast Environmental Data (TEXGED) Center, Prairie View A&M University and Center of Research & Studies of Natural Protectorates, Aim Shams University an important project about the crawfish has been conducted to investigate the postive use of this American animal in Egypt during 2000 and 2001.
11- Joined a project for studying the biodiversity of 3 protectorates at Gulf of Aqaba ( Ras Mohammed, Nabek, Abogalloum), from March 1994 to July 1995. This project has been supported by the Department of Natural Protectorates of the Egyptian Environment Affairs Agency ( EEAA ).
12- Joined a project supported by OPERATIONAL UNIT FOR DEVELOPMENT ASSISSTANCE (OUDA) through Consulting Engineers Services for biological treatment wastewater before discharging into Lake Manzala as well as Mediterranean Basin and reusing it in agriculture and fishculture, from February 2000 - 2004.
13- Joined a Regional Project for the Conservation of Wetlands and Coastal Ecosystems in the Mediterranean Region as a National Coordinator of descriptive studies of 3 protectorates , for protecting Mediterranean Basin; from May 2001 uptill 2006.
14- Shared in establishing Management Plans for 3 wetlands (Protected Areas) at the Mediterranean coastal area; from May 2003 uptill 2008.
15- Supervised a project supported by Fulbright Com. for developing a comprehensive curriculum and training program to promote the acquisition of knowledge and skills for working in the protected areas and environmental field, with the collaboration of Prairie View A&M Texas University, USA and Scientific & Research Center of Protected Areas at Ain Shams University, Egypt (2005/2006).
16- Supervised a project supported by Academy of Science & Technology to establish a data bank for Ecologists in Egypt (2006/2007).
17-Supervised a project supported by Ain shams university for participation in the management of protected islands of the River Nile (2007 – 2008).
18-Supervised a project supported by European Com. For developing a new industry about the crayfish, from 2009 to 2011.
19- Supervised a project supported by Ain Shams University, Environmenal Res. Unit for biological treatment of sewage in Gabal Asfar Area, and reusing of treated water in rearing the colour fish, 2010.
20- Supervised 33 theses and dissertations on Ecology at Ain-Shams University, Faculty of Science and the Institute of Environmental Studies and Research.
SYMPOSIUMS AND CONFERENCES
1- “The Second International Conference for Fish Resource Development in Egypt.” - Port Said, Egypt. April 22-24, 1986.
2- The Second Congress for the Zoological Society of A.R. Egypt, 25th Anniversary-Cairo University, Egypt. Nov. 15-17, 1986.
3- The International Symposium for Bio-indicators of Pollution; under the sponsorship of the International Union of Biological Science - National Center for Researches, Cairo, Egypt. Nov. 1986.
4- The National Conference of control Schistosoma disease in Egypt. Arab Nations League, Cairo, Egypt. Dec. 26, 1986.
5- The Second International Symposium on Tilapia Aquaculture. Bangkok, Thailand. March 16-20, 1987.
6- XXIX Georgikon Days Keszthely Conference; Fish, Fisheries and Natural waters, Hungary. August 25-26, 1987.
7- The First National conference on the Environmental Studies and Research - Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt. Jan. 31- Feb. 4 , 1988.
8- The First Scientific Conference on Role of Scientific Research in Developing Fish Resources. Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt. August 6-8, 1988.
9- First International Conference for Trace Metals in Lakes. McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. August 15-18, 1988.
10- Workshop on data management of biodiversity, National Biodiversity Unit, Egyptian Environment Affairs Agency. January 16-18, 1995.
11- The Scientific Research and the biodiversity in the Arab Countries. Halab University, Syria. September 5-7, 1995.
12- The third conference on the pollution of environment in developing countries, Cairo, Egypt. November 19-23, 1995.
13- The 6th International Conference for the Egyptian - Germany Society of Zoology, Ain-Shams University, Cairo, Egypt, April 2-4, 1996.
14- Organizing all the symposiums of Egyp. Soc. Of Fish. Res. DEVELOPS. (1996- 2015)
1- Member in the National Committee of Environmental AFFAIRS, Egyptian Academy of Science and Technology, EGYPT.
2- memver in biodiversity professionals group.
3- Member in the Committee of Developing and Environmental RESEARCH, Egyptian Academy of Science and Technology,Egypt.
4- Refree in the USA Fulbright Commision for selection of grants.
5- Refree in the Prize of Arabic CITIES ASS., Doha, Qatar.
6- Refree in the Prize of Prof. Mustafa Tolba for Environment, Egyptian Academy of Science and Technology, EGYPT.
7- Member in the Ecological Society of America, USA.
8- Member in the International Association of Astacology, USA.
9- Member in the National Geographic Society, USA.
10- Member in the International Center for Living Aquatic Resources Management, Philippines.
11- Member in the Zoological Society of Egypt, Egypt.
12- Member in the Egyptian Association for Conservation of Natural Resources, Egypt.
13- Member in the Egyptian Society of Zoology, Egypt.
14- Member in Union of Arab Biologists, Cairo, Egypt.
15- Member in the Egyptian - Germany Society of Zoology, Egypt.
Environmental Impact Assessment & Public consultation:
- baseline TERRESTRIAL ECOLOGY of Burullus Power Plant Site (Burullus Ramsar Site), (January, 2016).
- baseline STUDY OF FLORA & FAUNA and impact assessment of Abu Qir to Alexandria urban rail transit project (November 2015).
- baseline MARINE ECOLOGY of Burullus Power Plant Site (November 2015).
- BASELINE STUDY OF FLORA AND FAUNA Of the New Administrative Capital Power Plant Site (August 2015).
- BASELINE STUDY OF FLORA AND FAUNA Of Jotun Factory Site (July, 2015).
- BASELINE STUDY OF FLORA AND FAUNA Of Ayoun Moussa Power Plant Site (June 2015).
- baseline AQUATIC ECOLOGY and impact ASSESSMENT OF Damanhur Power Plant (March 2015).
- baseline TERESTRIAL ECOLOGY (Flora & Fauna) and impact assessment Of Damanhur Power Plant (March 2015).
- baseline AQUATIC ECOLOGY and impact assessment Of El_Siof (Alexandria) Power Plant (March 2015).
- baseline TERESTRIAL ECOLOGY (Flora & Fauna) and impact assessment Of El_Siof (Alexandria) Power Plant (March 2015).
- EIA study on A Company for Chemical Industries
at Wadi Natroun (Biological and Ecological Study)-2014.
- EIA STUDY ON MARINE AQUACULTURE AT RAS RAIA, TOR CITY, SOUTH SINAI (2014).
- EIA STUDY ON THE NILE CROCODILE CULTURE AT TALLA CITY( CAIRO-ISMAILIA DESERT ROAD, 42K) (2013).
- EIA STUDY ON FISH AQUACULTURE AT WADI ELRAYAN, FAYOUM (2011).
- baseline AQUATIC & TERESTRIAL ECOLOGY and impact ASSESSMENT OF DAMIETTA POWER PLANT (2010).
- baseline TERESTRIAL ECOLOGY AND impact assessment of Al-Shabab Gas Power Plant (2010).
- baseline AQUATIC & TERESTRIAL ECOLOGY and impact ASSESSMENT OF DAMIETTA POWER PLANT (2010).
- baseline AQUATIC & TERESTRIAL ECOLOGY and impact ASSESSMENT OF EL-QARIMAT POWER PLANT (2010).
Contributed in producing 8 reference books for the National Biodiversity Unit of the Egyptian Environment Affairs Agency ( EEAA ):
1. Biological Diversity of Egypt (1996).
2. Freshwater Fish of Egypt (1997).
3. Freshwater Molluscs of Egypt (1998).
4. Lake Nasser (2001).
5. Lake Burullus Protected Area (2005).
6. Lake Bardawil and Zaranik Protected Area(2006).
7. Ecotourism in Egypt (2008).
8. Freshwater Crayfish in Egypt (2009)
AWARDS & CERTIFICATES
1. Awarded the State-Encouragement Prize in Biology (Environmental STUDIES) in 1998.
2. Awarded MEDAL and Certificate of Appreciation from Faculty of Scince , Ain Shams University in 2000.
3. Awarded Certificate of Merit as Environmental Patron from the Arab Towns Organization, Doha, Qatar in 2001.
4. Awarded MEDAL from Union of Non-Gov. Env. Societies, 2006.